Re: Moving pgstat.stat and pgstat.tmp

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Moving pgstat.stat and pgstat.tmp
Date: 2007-12-03 22:38:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Dec 3, 2007, at 4:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com> writes:
>> Hi, I'm currently doctoring a situation wherein we've got table
>> inheritance scheme that over the years that has ballooned like only
>> in your nightmares (think well over 100K tables + indexes on those).
>> The obvious solution is to re-design the schema with a better
>> partitioning scheme in mind (see another msg from me later today on
>> that) but that's a big project that's just getting underway and an
>> immediate concern is the I/O on out data partition due in large part
>> to the stats file(s) getting hammered.
>
> Which PG version? Early 8.2.x releases had a nasty bug that caused
> excessive stats file writes.

8.2.5 on Solaris 10. Before we upgraded to 8.2.4 it was doing about
65 Mbs/sec. Interestingly, a while back we were running with the
data directory mounted with forcedirectio and saw none of this, I'm
guessing that fsync calls would have something to do with that?

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888