Re: Tablespace on Postgrsql

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespace on Postgrsql
Date: 2013-07-26 05:30:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On 7/25/2013 10:16 PM, Atri Sharma wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM, devonline<devonline(at)backpost(dot)com> wrote:
>> >Thanks for the in formation. Can you please tell me what would be a scalable
>> >architecture? (using pg_default) or separate custom tablespaces
> Putting too may tables in one tablespace can lead to confusion, to say
> the least. Keeping logically separate tablespaces seems a much saner
> idea to me, IMHO.

schema are the appropriate structure for logically grouping tables if
you have a large number.

tablespaces are purely about the storage.

as I said before, if your server has only one main data raid with one
big file system, then a single tablespace is appropriate. if your
server has multiple distinct raids and volumes, then different
tablespaces are appropriate.

--
john r pierce 37N 122W