Re: BUG #8329: UPDATE x SET x.y = x.y + z does not work in PL/pgSQL

From: Petr Chmelar <chmelarp(at)fit(dot)vutbr(dot)cz>
To: bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com>, pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #8329: UPDATE x SET x.y = x.y + z does not work in PL/pgSQL
Date: 2013-07-25 18:49:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dear Briklen and Pavel,

herewith I attached the weird function and tables dumped, I tried to
simplify it. See the
XXX THIS IS IT, does not work even when ... + 1000000 XXX
comment in the function, please.

I hope you can reproduce the bug. I also reinstalled the database and
made some other things, but the function seems not working. I still hope
this is my mistake but it works for me in the console... :(

Cheers,
Petr

On 24.7.2013 21:40, Petr Chmelar wrote:

> Dear Briklen and Pavel,
>
> Yes, the z. is a typo, it should be z.z ... I can send the complete
> query and tables tomorrow, also I'll try to make it simpler (the
> function is about 300 lines).
>
> Thanks for the early answers,
>
> Petr
>

> Dne 24.07.2013 17:14 napsal uživatel bricklen:
>
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:45 AM, <chmelarp(at)fit(dot)vutbr(dot)cz
> <mailto:chmelarp(at)fit(dot)vutbr(dot)cz>> wrote:

> Bug reference: 8329
> Logged by: Petr
> Email address: chmelarp(at)fit(dot)vutbr(dot)cz <mailto:chmelarp(at)fit(dot)vutbr(dot)cz>
> PostgreSQL version: 9.2.4
> Operating system: Fedora x64
>
> Hi there,
> we have an issue - if I run a query from a console, it runs OK.
> When it is
> run using EXECUTE in an PL/pgSQL function, it sets NULL. The simplest
> version of the query is like this:
> UPDATE x
> SET x.y = x.y + z.
> FROM (SELECT z) as Z
> WHERE ... ;
>

> If I don't use the "+" in the SET command, it works OK. The whle
> query is
> quite complex, but OK in a console. If you need the query an
> tables..., mail
> me, please. I can't make it public.
>

> Can you reduce it to a simpler test case without the details you are
> not able to show? Statistically it is more likely there is an error
> in your plpgsql function than in postgres itself.
> Also, is the "z." a typo, or is there really a dot after the "z"?

Attachment Content-Type Size
statistics.2send.sql.tar.bz2 application/x-bzip 75.6 KB