Re: Differences in WHERE clause of SELECT

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Differences in WHERE clause of SELECT
Date: 2013-07-09 23:12:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Prabakaran,

> I am a newbie to PostgreSQL and was wondering about the following
> behaviour.

pgsql-hackers is not the appropriate list for this kind of question. In
the future, please post to pgsql-novice, pgsql-sql, or pgsql-general
with this kind of question. Thanks.

> Can you please help me understand why 'LIKE' does not use implicit cast
> ?

Like uses the operator class "text_pattern_ops" which doesn't include an
implict cast. For one thing, the implicit cast is from text -->
integer, not the other way around, and there is no LIKE operator for
integers.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.