Re: Move unused buffers to freelist

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, 'PostgreSQL-development' <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move unused buffers to freelist
Date: 2013-05-23 21:16:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/14/13 2:13 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
> It is possible that we are told to put something in the freelist that
> is already in it; don't screw up the list if so.
>
> I don't see where the code does anything to handle that though. What was your intention here?

IIRC, the code that pulls from the freelist already deals with the possibility that a block was on the freelist but has since been put to use. If that's the case then there shouldn't be much penalty to adding a block multiple times (at least within reason...)
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net