Readline causing grief in build

From: Dave Stewart <dstewart(at)aquaflo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Readline causing grief in build
Date: 2002-12-21 00:58:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi!

I'm very new with this list and postgresql databases and having major
trouble trying to build this thing. Every attempt I make gives ends
with the following message:

<begin error>
checking for readline... no
configure: error: readline library not found
If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on
the
failure. It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper
directory.
Use --without-readline to disable readline support.
<end error>

OK, look at the config.log file for details. I can handle that (or so I
thought). It looks like the configure script is trying to compile a
test program, but all it shows is:

<begin config.log snip>
configure:5786: result: no
configure:5800: checking for readline
configure:5837: gcc -traditional-cpp -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c
-lreadline -lm >&5
ld: can't locate file for: -lreadline
configure:5840: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 5811 "configure"

configure:5837: gcc -traditional-cpp -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c
-ledit -lm >&5
ld: Undefined symbols:
_readline
configure:5840: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 5811 "configure"

configure:5837: gcc -traditional-cpp -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c
-lreadline -ltermcap -lm >&5
ld: can't locate file for: -lreadline
configure:5840: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 5811 "configure"

configure:5837: gcc -traditional-cpp -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c
-ledit -ltermcap -lm >&5
ld: Undefined symbols:
_readline
configure:5840: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 5811 "configure"

configure:5837: gcc -traditional-cpp -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c
-lreadline -lncurses -lm >&5
ld: can't locate file for: -lreadline
configure:5840: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 5811 "configure"

configure:5837: gcc -traditional-cpp -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c
-ledit -lncurses -lm >&5
ld: Undefined symbols:
_readline
configure:5840: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 5811 "configure"

configure:5837: gcc -traditional-cpp -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c
-lreadline -lcurses -lm >&5
ld: can't locate file for: -lreadline
configure:5840: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 5811 "configure"

configure:5837: gcc -traditional-cpp -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c
-ledit -lcurses -lm >&5
ld: Undefined symbols:
_readline
configure:5840: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 5811 "configure"

configure:5883: result: no
configure:5890: error: readline library not found
If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on
the
failure. It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper
directory.
Use --without-readline to disable readline support.

<end config.log snip>

Hmmm. I don't get it. Here's the particulars:

OS: Mac OSX.2.3 (Latest Jaguar)
GCC: 3.1 {Thread model: posix
Apple Computer, Inc. GCC version 1161, based on gcc version 3.1
20020420 (prerelease)}
ANT: 1.5.1

I swear readline is there, located at
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/readline.framework/Version/A. Am I
just missing something very elementary? My head is bleeding from
smashing it against this problem and I'm hoping someone here has some
Excedrin (TM) to help.

TIA for any suggestions anyone may have.

Dave Stewart
Aqua-flo (Goleta)
dstewart(at)aquaflo(dot)com