Re: drop tablespace error: invalid argument

From: Stephen Tyler <stephen(at)stephen-tyler(dot)com>
To: Jan Otto <asche(at)me(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drop tablespace error: invalid argument
Date: 2009-11-10 10:38:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Jan Otto <asche(at)me(dot)com> wrote:

> > Someone else please confirm? If so I'll revert that patch.
>
> Yes i can confirm that this bug is fixed in Mac OS X 10.6.2. I have checked
> it twice.
> With removed workaround in tablespace.c and with my self written testcase
> from
> september.

I can confirm that I am no longer able to trigger "ERROR: could not read
directory "pg_xlog": Invalid argument" in Mac OS X 10.6.2 with
"checkpoint_segments = 128".

I can also report that under 10.6.1, changing "checkpoint_segments = 128" to
"checkpoint_segments = 64" made the pg_xlog errors disappear almost
entirely. I could still easily trigger them with "VACUUM FULL", but could
not trigger them on demand with regular db operations.

Stephen

PS: I am observing some kind of disk lock-up on my machine that I can't
explain (and is present on both 10.6.1 and 10.6.2). Huge operations (like
"VACUUM FULL on a 50GB table") appear to run in brief spikes of activity
interspersed with 30 second pauses when the disk appears to be both inactive
and somewhat unresponsive and CPU is idle. Perhaps fsync() is misbehaving
(I have an SSD Raid 0 array). Anyway I am mentioning this as a caution that
although I can detect no readdir() errors on Mac OS X 10.6.2, perhaps all is
not OK on my system.