Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory
Date: 2013-03-27 16:24:28
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 27.03.2013 18:10, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 27 March 2013 15:35, Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
>> Ok, cool. Can you please revert this commit so that we can move on, then?
>
> Please explain why you want this reverted, without mentioning the
> other task we agree is required.

If an admin can't trust that the file is placed in $PGDATA, it's harder
to determine if a server is a master or a standby. It makes tools that
try to promote / demote a server more complicated, because they need to
take this setting into account. Lastly, it breaks the new pg_basebackup
-R functionality; pg_basebackup will create the recovery.conf file, but
it won't take effect.

From a process standpoint, this is a new feature that should've been
submitted before the commitfest deadline. I'm sure we'll make exceptions
to that every now and then, but by default new features should be bumped
to the next release at this point.

- Heikki