Re: EDB installer should check for valid %COMSPEC%

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Sachin Srivastava <sachin(dot)srivastava(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: EDB installer should check for valid %COMSPEC%
Date: 2013-03-08 05:58:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/19/2012 05:14 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>> check %COMSPEC% to see if it really
>> > points to cmd.exe .
> Interesting - thanks for the info Craig. Sandeep; can you please look
> into adding such a check to the installer. We already test the
> VBscript interpreter, so this should go in the same place.
I've just seen a Stack Overflow report related to this that might be of
interest. The user reports that the installer fails with:

" The environment variable COMPSPEC does not seem to point to the
cmd.exe or there is a trailing semi colon present."

This appears to be a new message and they're using 9.2, so I'm guessing
this was the test added. It doesn't appear to actually *mention the
value of the COMSPEC environment variable* though. I've asked them for
the installer log, but it'd be good to identify this in the message if
possible.

The question of interest:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15287207/problems-installing-postgresql-9-2