Re: Enabling Checksums

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enabling Checksums
Date: 2013-03-07 00:14:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/4/13 7:04 PM, Daniel Farina wrote:
> Corruption has easily occupied more than one person-month of time last
> year for us.

Just FYI for anyone that's experienced corruption... we've looked into doing row-level checksums at work. The only challenge we ran into was how to check them when reading data back. I don't remember the details but there was an issue with doing this via SELECT rules. It would be possible if you were willing to put writable views on all your tables (which isn't actually as horrible as it sounds; it wouldn't be hard to write a function to automagically do that for you).