Re: initdb ignoring options due to bash environment on OS X

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb ignoring options due to bash environment on OS X
Date: 2013-02-27 02:24:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/26/13 9:18 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
> $ otool -L `which initdb`
> /Users/gsmith/pgwork/inst/latest/bin/initdb:
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 159.1.0)

Two last bits of trivia and I'll stop talking to myself. You can get
the full list of things this dynamic library then links to like this:

$ otool -lTv /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib | grep "(offset"
name /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (offset 24)
name /usr/lib/system/libcache.dylib (offset 24)
name /usr/lib/system/libcommonCrypto.dylib (offset 24) ...

There's a bit more information about all the libraries squashed into
this one on OS X at
http://0xfe.blogspot.com/2006/03/qa-how-os-x-executes-applications.html

It is also worth nothing that otool is part of the developer tools for
OS X, not the base system. Features like DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES look like
they work on any system though.