Re: High CPU usage / load average after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High CPU usage / load average after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04
Date: 2013-02-15 18:26:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 02/14/2013 08:47 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> If you run your benchmarks for more than a few minutes I highly
> recommend enabling sysstat service data collection, then you can look
> at it after the fact with sar. VERY useful stuff both for
> benchmarking and post mortem on live servers.

Well, background sar, by default on Linux, only collects every 30min.
For a benchmark run, you want to generate your own sar file, for example:

sar -o hddrun2.sar -A 10 90 &

which says "collect all stats every 10 seconds and write them to the
file hddrun2.sar for 15 minutes"

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.