Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date: 2013-02-12 01:53:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/12/2013 03:24 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Well, several people (at least Tom, I, and I think Zoltan as well)
> think that the one-file approach is considerably more complex. Check
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130126162728.GA5482@awork2.anarazel.de
> and related messages for some of the problems. Most of which are
> unhandled in the current patch, i.e. currently you *will* loose
> changes made in concurrent sessions.
We need to read all files in the directory anyway to make the configdir
approach useful for system package managers that want to create config
files for extensions, akin to how /etc/yum.repos.ds/ ,
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ , /etc/apache2/conf.d/ and so on work.

OTOH, it'll be easier for a sysadmin to understand what's going on if
Pg's auto-written config is a single file, so any system-installed
settings aren't lost in a giant clutter of Pg-created files.

It seems that SQL-level configuration and the config dir feature are
actually more separate than it might've appeared.