Re: CF3+4 (was Re: Parallel query execution)

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CF3+4 (was Re: Parallel query execution)
Date: 2013-01-23 18:27:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/23/2013 09:51 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> The only way to fix increasing bug counts is through more-comprehensive
> regular testing. Currently we have regression/unit tests which cover
> maybe 30% of our code. Performance testing is largely ad-hoc. We don't
> require comprehensive acceptance testing for new patches. And we have >
> 1m lines of code. Of course our bug count is increasing.

And... slow down the release cycle or slow down the number of features
that are accepted. Don't get me wrong I love everything we have and are
adding every cycle but there does seem to be a definite weight
difference between # of features added and time spent allowing those
features to settle.

Sincerely,

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579