Re: [ADMIN] Problems with enums after pg_upgrade

From: Bernhard Schrader <bernhard(dot)schrader(at)innogames(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Problems with enums after pg_upgrade
Date: 2012-12-18 21:20:27
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On 12/18/2012 09:38 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> People have been known to hack pg_enum on their own, especially before
>> we added enum extension.
>> Of course, if they do that they get to keep both pieces.
> Yeah ... this would be very readily explainable if there had been a
> manual deletion from pg_enum somewhere along the line. Even if there
> were at that time no instances of the OID left in tables, there could
> be some in upper btree pages. They'd have caused no trouble in 9.0
> but would (if odd) cause trouble in 9.2.
>
> Of course, this theory doesn't explain why the problem was seen on some
> copies and not others cloned from the same database --- unless maybe
> there had been an index page split on the master in between the
> clonings, and that moved the troublesome OID into a position where it
> was more likely to get compared-to. That's not a hugely convincing
> explanation though.
>
> regards, tom lane

Guys, thaaaaank youuu aaaall. :) reindex helped, did reindex on two
tables, and everything is now working like expected.

I will provide tomorrow all information which could help to understand
everything in detail, but now it's gonna be late in germany :). and i
got a headache of all this stuff ^^

Thanks so much!!!

--
Bernhard Schrader
System Administration

InnoGames GmbH
Harburger Schloßstraße 28 (Channel 4) - 21079 Hamburg - Germany
Tel +49 40 7889335-53
Fax +49 40 7889335-22

Managing Directors: Hendrik Klindworth, Eike Klindworth, Michael Zillmer
VAT-ID: DE264068907 Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 108973

http://www.innogames.com – bernhard(dot)schrader(at)innogames(dot)de