Experiences with pl/Java

From: Thomas Hill <Thomas(dot)K(dot)Hill(at)t-online(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Experiences with pl/Java
Date: 2012-11-19 08:02:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

was wondering if there is anyone wanted to share some experiences gained
and some knowledge on pl/Java. Have looked into it for a couple of days
now and am getting the impression it is not something ready to use in
production environment. Also have trouble sending to the developer
mailing list (the last email on the mail archive of that list is almost
three weeks old) which raises questions on how active this project is.

Have worked with PostgreSQL and pg/SQL before and also used Apache Derby
in the past. On Apache Derby I have implemented some stored procedures
using Java code and my interst now was on seeing how much of this could
be re-used this pl/Java so PostgreSQL could potentially become a second
data base backend my application would run on.

But trying to port my java procedures from Derby to PostgreSQL had a bad
start and for me pl/Java and the support around it so far suggest not to
pursue this any further. Why?.
Porting the simlest procedure was possible, but trying procedures with
out parameters was not.

Has anyone made the same experience with pl/Java or is it just my lack
of understanding (in conjunction with a lack of documentation on pl/Java).

Thanks a lot in advance
Thomas