Re: Truncate if exists

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Truncate if exists
Date: 2012-10-12 21:57:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> where CONDITION has several possible forms:
>> i) {IF|UNLESS} ( SQL expression returning T/F )
>> ii) {IF|UNLESS} {EXISTS|NOT EXISTS}
>> {TABLE|SCHEMA|COLUMN|FUNCTION|...} object_name
>
> Now we're talking about T-SQL? Sorry, I suppose you didn't mean to lead
> us that way, but I couldn't resist comparing. Soon enough you want a
> full programming language there.

Well, embedding such a thing into plpgsql wouldn't be a bad thing. It's
a lot less hard on the DevOps person to request that they write a DO
statement if the DO statement is one line:

DO $$
BEGIN
TRUNCATE TABLE foo IF EXISTS foo;
END;$$;

Come to think of it, I've *often* wished for the perl-ish "do x if y"
syntax for plpgsql, and not just for DDL.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.