Re: BUG #7558: Postgres service not starting.

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: pathak(dot)anurag(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #7558: Postgres service not starting.
Date: 2012-09-20 02:22:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 09/19/2012 09:21 PM, pathak(dot)anurag(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> Bug reference: 7558
> Logged by: Anurag
> Email address: pathak(dot)anurag(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.13
> Operating system: Microsoft 2008 Server
>
> Hello,
>
> I installed Postgres and tried by populating SHP files form PostGIS pulgin.
> When I tried to update pg_hba.conf for adding a CIDR addrs. When I connected
> again It shows following error-
> ERROR : Error connecting to the server: FATAL: could not load pg_hba.conf
>
> after that when I am trying to connect the database by double clicking, it
> is showing service is not present, start the service first.

There is no sign that this is a bug. Try asking on the pgsql-general
mailing list or Stack Overflow. Include more detail, in particular check
your `pg_log` folder and get the most recent log messages. Also check
the Windows event viewer for service messages related to PostgreSQL.

Guesses:

- Your text editor still has pg_hba.conf open. In Windows that locks the
file so PostgreSQL can't open it.

- You changed the file permissions when you replaced/edited pg_hba.conf,
so PostgreSQL can't open it now.

- You edited pg_hba.conf incorrectly, creating syntax errors.

Please do not reply to me, post on -general or SO.

--
Craig Ringer