Re: Bug : FAST_NUMBER_FAILED when getting NaN on BigDecimal

From: Mikko Tiihonen <mikko(dot)tiihonen(at)nitorcreations(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug : FAST_NUMBER_FAILED when getting NaN on BigDecimal
Date: 2012-09-11 17:38:35
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 09/11/2012 01:37 PM, DocSea - Patrice Delorme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is impossible to fetch data when numeric value in database is NaN
> It throws FAST_NUMBER_FAILED (postgresql-jdbc-9.1-902:AbstractJdbc2ResultSet:2176) because my value is not numeric (NaN).
> This is incorect behaviour since 'NaN' is a legal value in postgres for numeric type.
>
> problem is in postgresql-jdbc-9.1-902.jdbc4
> but it seems areound for ages... since I discovered it first in postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc3...

Can you provide a more concrete example code to show when the FAST_NUMBER_FAILED exception is seen by jdbc using application.

I did a quick look at the code and the exception in question looks like just a jdbc driver internal way to switch to slower parsing of input values when fast
parsing fails. It should never escape to applications.

-Mikko