Re: Semi-final draft for press release

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Semi-final draft for press release
Date: 2012-08-26 19:52:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 27/08/12 07:21, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 20 August 2012 05:04, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> With PostgreSQL 9.2
> That all sounds good.
>
> What I'm particularly surprised about is the lack of mention of power
> reductions, which is a good thing for embedded devices, desktop, cloud
> and large enterprise deployments. That sounds like a feature everybody
> can understand. "Postgres goes Green"

Green as in greenhorn, immature, unseasoned??? :-)

(Sorry, my perverse sense of humour escaped!)

I think for the kind of people that kind of phrase might attract, saying
'PostgreSQL' might be better as 'everyone' knows, all databases (MySQL,
SQLserver) have SQL in their name.

From what I have read, energy costs (not only for running the servers,
but also the air conditioning required) is a major cost factor in data
centres. So mentioning power savings should rank a significant mention
-- that 9.3 does, when and why.

Cheers,
Gavin