Re: connecting to running db server

From: Jan-Peter Seifert <Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Roland Kaschek <rolandkaschek(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: connecting to running db server
Date: 2012-08-23 15:29:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,

Am 23.08.2012 12:33, schrieb Roland Kaschek:
> I try to get an instance of Postgres 9.1.5 ready for some SQL
> programming. I have installed the software along with Drupal 7 and
> mediaWiki. After starting the pgAdmin III it tells me the server is
> running. So I try to connect to it using the respective button. Then the
> problem comes. I don't know where to put the pg_service.conf file under
> Windows 7. I have the content of it as:
> [postgres]
> dbname=postgres
> user=postgres.

Normally you don't have to set up this file.
Do Drupal 7 and mediaWiki require it?
Try putting the file into:
c:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Roaming\postgresql\

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/libpq-pgservice.html

> I have tried as a location several directories within
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64 but nothing worked. All the time the response to the
> connect request as issued by me from within the admin tool resulted in
> the message that the definition of the "postgres" service could not be
> found.

Is this a 32-Bit PostgreSQL version? Otherwise this does not make sense.

Good luck.

Peter