Re: default_isolation_level='serializable' crashes on Windows

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: default_isolation_level='serializable' crashes on Windows
Date: 2012-08-23 19:48:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I tweaked Kevin's error message to keep the same capitalization as
> the existing text for the message in check_XactIsoLevel --- if we
> change that it will cause work for the translators, and I don't
> think it's enough of an improvement to justify that.

That's one of the reasons I agonized over it -- I think the way I
left it is a little better and more consistent with other messages,
but didn't know whether the difference was worth translator effort.
I'm happy to trust your judgment on that.

> Lastly, I simplified the added code in InitPostgres down to just a
> bare assignment to XactIsoLevel. It doesn't seem worthwhile to
> add all the cycles involved in SetConfigOption(), when we have no
> desire to change the GUC permanently. (I think Kevin's code was
> wrong anyway in that it was using PGC_S_OVERRIDE, which would
> impact the reset state for the GUC.)

Point taken on PGC_S_OVERRIDE. And that probably fixes the issue
that caused me to hold up when I was about ready to pull the trigger
this past weekend. A final round of testing showed a "SET" line on
psql start, which is clearly wrong. I suspected that I needed to go
to a lower level in setting that, but hadn't had a chance to sort
out just what the right path was. In retrospect, just directly
assigning the value seems pretty obvious.

> I think this is ready to go.

With your changes, I agree.

> Kevin, do you want to apply it? You had mentioned wanting some
> practice with back-patches.

I'm getting on a plane to Istanbul in less than 48 hours for the
VLDB conference, and scrambling to tie up loose ends. I don't want
to be under that kind of time-pressure when I back-patch for the
first time, for fear of making a mess of things and not being around
to clean up the mess; so my first back-patch is probably best left
for another time.

I'll run through my tests again tonight, against your patch, not
that I expect any problems with it. Unfortunately I can't test
Windows, as I don't have a build environment for that.

Thanks for going over this.

-Kevin