Re: new BUG: "postgresql 9.2.3: very long query time"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Claude Speed <gta3user(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: new BUG: "postgresql 9.2.3: very long query time"
Date: 2013-02-22 18:34:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> The slowness was introduced with this:
> Use parameterized paths to generate inner indexscans more flexibly.

Try increasing from_collapse_limit to 11 or more.

I'm not exactly sure why the param-path patch might have changed this
behavior, but in any case the collapse limits ought to be the first
thing you think of when you see a crappy plan for a many-relation query.

The curious join nesting in this query makes me wonder if perhaps it was
hand-optimized to fit the behavior of some old version of the planner ...