Re: Using pg_upgrade on log-shipping standby servers

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using pg_upgrade on log-shipping standby servers
Date: 2012-07-26 14:28:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I think I could create a list and pass that into a loop so only
>> the command has to be modified, but again, how do we do that on Windows?
>> Can we create a shell function in Windows and pass the file name as an
>> argument?
> I don't know, but I assume that somewhere in the known universe there is
> a way on Windows to say, here is a list of files, copy them to that
> host.

The issue isn't whether or not there is a way known somewhere in the
universe to do something, it's whether or not it's reasonable to assume
that such a thing is likely to be available. In general we have tried
not to assume very much at all about what's available on Windows - not
much beyond the simple cmd.exe shell.

On Windows I typically use scp to copy things around between machines,
but I'd be very wary of creating a Postgres utility that expects it to
be present.

cheers

andrew