Re: PQunescapeBytea code

From: Adam Kavan <akavan(at)cox(dot)net>
To: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PQunescapeBytea code
Date: 2003-10-30 23:46:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Actually I was looking at that code today and it does not ignore something
if it is escaped by a backslash on not on the list. It eats the backslash
and then continues the loop so next time that character will be parsed
normally. However PQunescapeBytea is _very_ slow. I am storing fairly
large (several hundered K) byte strings into Bytea's and it can take 30
seconds or more to convert them back into binary data. I wrote a new
version of PQunescapeBytea that uses pointers instead of arrays to store
the string in, this increases the speed about 30 fold on my strings and
still has the same behavior. I wasn't sure if this would be something I
should submit as a patch or not, is anyone interested in this?

If they are I'll try to figure out how to submit a patch.

--- Adam Kavan
--- akavan(at)cox(dot)net