Re: Query cancelled errors

From: David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query cancelled errors
Date: 2003-09-16 19:29:07
Lists: pgsql-novice
At 02:45 PM 9/16/2003 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com> writes:
> > We have encountered numerous instances when we have encountered the
> > following error message:
> >          ERROR:  Query was cancelled.
>
>Something is sending the backend a SIGINT.  What platform are you on?
>(For that matter, what PG version are you using?)

System: SunOS rutabaga 5.9 Generic_112233-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
PG:  7.3.4

>You might look to see if your platform sends SIGINT when it thinks
>a process has exhausted resource limits, or some such.  Most Unixen
>I'm familiar with use different signals for that, but it's hard to
>think of other obvious reasons for unsolicited signals.
>
>Also, how did you start the postmaster?  If you launched it by hand
>and weren't careful to dissociate it from the shell session, then
>control-C typed at that shell could SIGINT the postmaster and backends.

postmaster is running in the background; started via:
pg_ctl start -D PG_DATA -s -l PG_LOG -o '-i'

David Rickard
Software Engineer
The GTS Companies
A TechBooks Company

The GTS Companies:
GTS Publishing Services, GTS Graphics, GTS Innova:
Your Single-Source Solution!
Los Angeles CA  *  York, PA  *  Boston MA  *  New Delhi, India

David(dot)Rickard(at)GTSCompanies(dot)com
Visit us on the World Wide Web
http://www.gtscompanies.com
5650 Jillson St., Los Angeles, CA 90040
(323) 888-8889 x331