Re: Query cancelled errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query cancelled errors
Date: 2003-09-16 18:45:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

David Rickard <David(dot)Rickard(at)GTScompanies(dot)com> writes:
> We have encountered numerous instances when we have encountered the
> following error message:
> ERROR: Query was cancelled.

Something is sending the backend a SIGINT. What platform are you on?
(For that matter, what PG version are you using?)

You might look to see if your platform sends SIGINT when it thinks
a process has exhausted resource limits, or some such. Most Unixen
I'm familiar with use different signals for that, but it's hard to
think of other obvious reasons for unsolicited signals.

Also, how did you start the postmaster? If you launched it by hand
and weren't careful to dissociate it from the shell session, then
control-C typed at that shell could SIGINT the postmaster and backends.