a few questions

From: William Grigg <wgrigg(at)draper(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: a few questions
Date: 2003-07-29 15:28:11
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Gentlemen,

I am hoping to be able to use GForge on my windows PC. To that end I have installed:
1. cygwin
2. reinstalled cygwin and selected cygipc, postgreSQL and a few other things
3. PHP
4 Apache
5. downloaded and installed the GForge3 directory tree

I am listing the above just in case someone out there thinks I should uninstall some stuff. In any event, this is a learning process for me, and I am still learning. One thing I think I have learned, is that with the correct installation options selected, I could have just done the Internet cygwin install, and not have bothered with separately installing Apache and PHP. Recently, someone very kindly pointed me to http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.2.README which I am currently trying to follow. My plan is to reinstall cygwin, but making sure that I include all of the packages mentioned in the README. Here are some things that are a little unclear right now:
1. Should I do the basic install, or the NT services? I will assume NT services unless someone says otherwise.
2. Are the commands shown in the README meant to be executed from the cygwin bash shell window? I assume so.
3. Assuming that I install the NT services version, what will I see running under Windows Task Manager - Processes? I assume there will be something that appears there
4. I do not really need to compile and build postgreSQL to get it running do I? I hope not.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill