Re: plpgsql and createlang?

From: "P(dot) Jourdan" <pippo(at)videotron(dot)ca>
To: April L <april(at)i-netco(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpgsql and createlang?
Date: 2002-04-14 19:56:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

At 03:43 PM 4/14/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Thank you, Philip. With your help, I finally realized I was at the wrong
>kind of prompt. I now am able to get the list of installed languages from
>createlang, although I still have to get myself to be a superuser to add
>plpgsql... my *nix guys are sleeping and of course I can't simply wait for
>them to wake up - esp with the fun new functions I have available to play
>with now!

I have a great deal of difficulty understanding the superuser thing,
myself. I know what the superuser is on the system - but I don't understand
the superuser thing under Postgrsql. I think you become the superuser on
Postgresql when you fist set up a user on the system as pgsql or posgres
(the common usage seems to have gone from postgres on earlier versions to
pgsql on recent versions). Then you have to use that user to create the
initial database and you have to set the chown to that user.
I think... :( ... I have to play with that myself to try to understand as
I am trying to restore a datqabase and it seems to depent on the correct
user and permissions.
I hope some will explain this stuff to us... :))
Philip