Re: Solaris, Postgresql and Problems

From: Errol Neal <errol(dot)neal(at)enhtech(dot)com>
To: Weiping He <laser(at)zhengmai(dot)com(dot)cn>
Cc: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Solaris, Postgresql and Problems
Date: 2003-07-25 16:35:44
Lists: pgsql-general

At 11:34 PM 7/25/2003 +0800, Weiping He wrote:
>Errol Neal wrote:
>

>>Actually Doug, it is not even "dying". I used the incorrect word. It is
>>shutting down... Here is a log entry:
>>
>>LOG: fast shutdown request
>>LOG: shutting down
>>LOG: database system is shut down
>>LOG: database system was shut down at 2003-07-25 10:54:57 EDT
>>LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/909710
>>LOG: redo record is at 0/909710; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
>>LOG: next transaction id: 7898764; next oid: 49906
>>LOG: database system is ready
>>LOG: fast shutdown request
>>LOG: shutting down
>>LOG: database system is shut down
>I've ever met problem alike in solaris 8, and it turns out as Tom suggested
>that it's the ctrl-c (SIGTERM) causes the problem. If I'm not guessed worng,
>may be you are using the command 'tail -f yourlogfile' to see your log after
>the server start up, and then ctrl-c to quit the 'tail', but the signal
>would send
>to postmaster also and cause it shutdown.
>
>If so, I'll recommend the precedure below to circumvent the problem:
>
>1, login postgresql superuser accound;
>2, start postgresql (nohup pg_ctl start blah, blah);
>3, exit login
>4, re-login with postgresql superuser and 'tail -f yourlogfile' to monitor it.
>
>but I still searching the reason why solaris would act like that
>
>Don't know if it helps.
>

>regards
>
>Laser

> http://archives.postgresql.org

That is amazing.. It does it every time. But the funny thing is, it does
not do that using the default /etc/system settings. I tail log files all
the time and exit them with a ctrl-c. Postgres never interprets that as a
signal for it to exit... neither do any of my other processes running..

Errol Neal, Systems/Network Administrator
eneal(at)enhtech(dot)com
Enhanced Technologies Inc.
http://www.enhtech.com
703-924-0301 or 800-368-3249