pg_dump file question

From: Robert Partyka <bobson(at)ares(dot)fils(dot)us(dot)edu(dot)pl>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump file question
Date: 2002-10-08 09:57:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

My friend just notice me with some thing that make using dump files harder
to use.

So here we go:
first we make some chaos :)
\c template1 postgres
create user foo with password 'bar' createdb nocreateuser;
\c template1 foo
create database foodb;
\c template1 postgres
alter user foo with nocreatedb;

then we... pg_dumpall -s (nowaday for explain we need only schemas :)

and we try to applay this pg_dumpall file.... and suprise :)

we have something like that:

\connect template1
CREATE USER "foo" WITH SYSID 32 PASSWORD 'bar' NOCREATEDB NOCREATEUSER;
\connect template1 "foo"
CREATE DATABASE "foodb" WITH TEMPLATE = template0 ENCODING = 'LATIN2';
\connect "foodb" "foo"

I think evryone see why it dont work.

I think that rebuild of dumping procedure to detect such a problems and
remake dump file like that

\connect template1
CREATE USER "foo" WITH SYSID 32 PASSWORD 'bar' CREATEDB NOCREATEUSER;
\connect template1 "foo"
CREATE DATABASE "foodb" WITH TEMPLATE = template0 ENCODING = 'LATIN2';
\connect template1 "postgres"
ALTER USER "foo" WITH NOCREATEDB;
\connect "foodb" "foo"

will solve this problem.