Re: PostgreSQL JDBC - Number of connections

From: Toby <toby(at)paperjet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL JDBC - Number of connections
Date: 2002-09-29 10:55:17
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

>BTW, you will probably find that you need to do some surgery on kernel
>settings as well, if you really want to handle more than a thousand
>concurrent backends ...

quite. forgive me if i'm wrong, but the backend spawns a new thread for
each connection, so if you want 1000+ simultaneous connections then you're
looking at 1000+ threads. unless you have many processors on your machine,
you will lose much performance through your machine busy context switching
between threads, rather than doing useful work.