Restore killing the backend

From: Stephen Bacon <sbacon(at)13x(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Restore killing the backend
Date: 2002-07-29 20:38:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
I'm trying to migrate from 7.1.3 to 7.2.1
I pg_dump'ed all the data from 7.1.3, yet when I try psql dbname < dumpfile
it crashes, taking out postgres with it.
I am running under RedHat Linux 7.3 (kernel-smp-2.4.18-5)
This has happened both with the RPM from RedHat (on the CD) and the latest
one off the website (postgresql-7.2.1-2PGDG)

Attached are the output from two different runs. The error occurs when
performing the COPY command to repopulate the data.

Also, this dump will successfully import into a 7.1.3 db. I've looked in
the dump file for "3835" (which it says it can't process) and the only
occurannce for that string is within a phone number (text field).

Finally, after the error I usually have to restart the machine, as I get
segmentation faults from other apps - which hints to me that there's a
problem somewhere in an OS level library.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Steve