Re: sql command

From: Chris <csmith(at)squiz(dot)net>
To: "P(dot) Jourdan" <pippo(at)videotron(dot)ca>, pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sql command
Date: 2002-05-02 23:08:37
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi Phil,

>Could someone explain to me why sql commands work in php with pgsql?

?? Why wouldn't they? :P

>I have a curious situation where the author used sql commands like
>sqlconnect to access the database rather than pg-connect as well as other
>commands that are either psql or sql - I'm a litle confused here. This is
>in a .conf file:
>sqlconnect(array('server'=>'tester.videotron.ca','user'=>'mum',
> 'database'=>'mum','password'=>'123456' ) );
>I'm looking for the theory behind all this. :-)
>Thanks

It looks like the author wrote a function called 'sqlconnect' which takes
an array of data to (obviously) connect to the server.

The function would probably look something like this:

function sqlconnect($connectionarray) {
pg_connect("host=$connectionarray['server'] user=$connectionarray['user']
password=$connectionarray['password'] dbname=$connectionarray['database']");
}

(with more error checking and comments of course).

Do a grep on your code tree for 'function sqlconnect' and look at the file
involved.

It's just a small wrapper function for the full command :)

Chris Smith
http://www.squiz.net/