ResultSet.getString does percent substitutions

From: E <ecognito1(at)earthcorp(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ResultSet.getString does percent substitutions
Date: 2001-07-12 23:33:39
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

Noticed something that has left me scratching my head a bit.

If I have a varchar column in a table on my database that has a value of
"a%4Aa" for example, when I read that column in my result set using
getString, it returns "aJa". Now 0x4A is the (hexadecimal) ASCII value for
"J", so it appears that there is some percent substitutions, similar to URL
encoding going on.

I've been going through the JDBC specs at Sun, and looking around the
postgresql site, but I haven't been able to find anything on this.

Any ideas what's causing it and how to switch it off?

FYI, I'm using postgresql 6.5.3 and the JDBC 6.5-1.2 driver on RedHat 6.0
GNU/Linux kernel 2.2.5-15.

Thanks.

E.