Re: Java class documentation

From: Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Java class documentation
Date: 2001-02-24 18:03:03
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-jdbc
At 16:00 23/02/01 +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > Could we for now remove the formal class documentation from the DocBook
> > source, while keeping the narrative parts, and instead point people to the
> > JavaDoc?  Could we make prebuild class documentation in HTML available to
> > users, maybe where the jars are downloaded?
>
>Works for me. Not sure if we have rules for building javadoc in our
>makefiles, but I'm sure it would be easy to add if necessary. Peter M,
>what do you think?

As I just replied to PeterE, I was waiting for 7.1 to be out before
rewriting the docs from scratch. I was waiting because of time restraints
and I didn't want to mess up the exiting docs, especially as I knew you
needed time before release with the docs static.

What I'm working on for the jdbc site is a set of API docs explaining the
PostgreSQL specific extensions, and a set of tutorials. The tutorials range
from the basic stuff (replacing the examples in the source), to writing
Servlets with PostgreSQL, EJB's, Corba etc.

Now a Javadoc->DocBook converter should be easy. In fact you can get
javadoc to do it for you using the Doclet API. Should be real easy to do.

Peter