Re: 8K Limit, whats the best strategy?

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu>
To: Keith Wong <keith(at)e-magine(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8K Limit, whats the best strategy?
Date: 2000-08-15 15:37:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

At 06:29 AM 8/15/2000, Keith Wong wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>Just wondering what strategies people have used to get around the 8K row
>limit in Postgres.
>If anyone has been troubled by this limitation before and has a nice
>solution around it, I would love to hear it.
>
>My application is a web-based system in which needs to store large amounts
>of text.
>The text stored needs to searchable as well.

You can you the type LZTEXT which is compressed text so your mileage will vary.

The other option is to go in and recompile for a larger row size. Most of
the people I have talked to had no problems with this route. I move the
size limit on an x86 Linux box to 32K (the max) and have not had any
problems. In the next release, I don't believe the row size limit will
exist (correct me if I'm wrong).

Let me know the system your on, and I will try to help if I can.

-
- Thomas Swan
- Graduate Student - Computer Science
- The University of Mississippi
-
- "People can be categorized into two fundamental
- groups, those that divide people into two groups
- and those that don't."