Re: Does parallel make require guards against duplicate actions?

From: John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does parallel make require guards against duplicate actions?
Date: 2010-01-05 03:14:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

FWIW, the old make rule was

fmgroids.h fmgrtab.c: (deps)

which is now

fmgroids.h: fmgrtab.c ;

fmgrtab.c: (deps)

I was going by this comment in parser/Makefile:

# There is no correct way to write a rule that generates two files.
# Rules with two targets don't have that meaning, they are merely
# shorthand for two otherwise separate rules. To be safe for parallel
# make, we must chain the dependencies like this.