Re: LDAP where DN does not include UID attribute

From: Robert Fleming <fleminra(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LDAP where DN does not include UID attribute
Date: 2009-09-14 23:47:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Robert Fleming <fleminra(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > But I would like to authenticate to PostgreSQL using the "uid" LDAP
> > attribute,
>
> What value does that have that would justify doubling the time needed
> to authenticate? (I presume two LDAP requests will take about twice
> as long as one...)

That's just the way the company LDAP is setup -- it's out of my control
unfortunately.

Our schema used to have the uid in the DN, and I always wrote our enterprise
software to just do the bind without a search. When the LDAP schema
changed, my reaction was the same as yours, but when I saw that Bugzilla,
MediaWiki, etc. accommodate it without flinching, I figured it wasn't too
uncommon, so I changed my own software. Other software that supports it:
Tiki wiki, Apache's mod_authnz_ldap, ejabberd. I think I had to tweak some
Perl for jabberd <jabberd.org> to handle it.

It might be twice as slow, but if PostgreSQL were smart or configurable
enough, it could skip the search when not necessary. So performance needn't
be impacted.

Robert