Re: Bug tracker tool we need

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug tracker tool we need
Date: 2012-07-09 21:55:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> -- Bug Submitter: easy-access way for users to submit bugs and check on
>>> their status later.
>
>> Not sure how to handle the first two. Bug submission is always a pita and
>> although we could use the fix-bug-later app, it would clutter it as we were
>> trying to determine real bugs vs user error.
>
> And whatever you/we do, be *VERY* aware of the
> "pile-of-...-in-the-bugtracker problem". I just happend to have Joel
> Spolsky's post come through my RSS reader, where he talked about about
> bugtrackers, and suggested:

Well, frankly, I don't think we really want to make it easier for the
*general public* to submit bugs than it already is. We're already
getting enough quality bug reports to keep us busy. And I'm
all-too-familiar with the failings of a "bug-losing system"; check the
number of bugs I have filed against Thunderbird sometime.

Where bug submission is broken that we care about is in two areas:

1. it's very difficult for the existing bug submitters to check status
of their bugs after submission, or even find out if they went anywhere
(if using the webform).

2. we don't have an API for downstream projects and products to submit
bugs, which makes those projects think we don't care about bugs.

Note that both of the above could be solved without having a public
bugzilla instance.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.