Re: Last gasp

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Last gasp
Date: 2012-04-15 22:31:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 04/15/2012 05:46 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Our problem is not lack of resource, it is ineffective
> delegation. As Hannu points out, he didn't know the patch would be
> rejected, so he didn't know help was needed to save something useful.
> I considered that the job of the CF manager, but perhaps it is was
> not.

Note that one of the influences on the "death march" here was lack of a
fully devoted CF manager for the full duration. I did some rabble
rousing to get things started in the usual way, but my time for this
only budgeted for six weeks in that role. And that was quite optimistic
for this one.

Trying to quantify how much time investment the CF manager role really
involves is one of my important projects to chew on. Whoever ends up
doing that should at least have an idea what scale of problem they're
getting into.