Re: what Linux to run

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what Linux to run
Date: 2012-03-03 20:49:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On 03/03/12 2:55 AM, Gavin Flower wrote:

> My knowledge of Debian is via friend's (an extremely competent and
> experienced Unix guy who got me into Linux & who still runs Debian)
> comments and what I've noticed on the web. For a Desktop development
> machine, I currently prefer Fedora, but for a server I need to be more
> conservative. One place I worked used Ubuntu, but I quickly switched
> my machine to Fedora, when I found Ubuntu lacked the desktop things I
> relied on!
>
> So I would interested in the answers, also I would need to be able to
> install JDK7.

the server equivalent to Fedora is, of course, RHEL or CentOS. CentOS
6.2 is working very well for us for a range of stuff.

JDK7, I dunno, we're still using JDK 6 and trying very hard to stay away
from bleeding edge proprietary features. I sure don't see anything here
we need for our work: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk7/features/

but, any version of java can be installed on most anything... JDK's just
need to be untarred somewhere (we'll put unpackaged ones in /opt/something)

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast