Re: efficient data reduction (and deduping)

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alessandro Gagliardi" <alessandro(at)path(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: efficient data reduction (and deduping)
Date: 2012-03-01 18:51:42
Lists: pgsql-performance
Alessandro Gagliardi <alessandro(at)path(dot)com> wrote:

>   hr_timestamp timestamp without time zone,

In addition to the responses which more directly answer your
question, I feel I should point out that this will not represent a
single moment in time.  At the end of Daylight Saving Time, the
value will jump backward and you will run through a range of time
which will overlap existing entries.  There is almost never a good
reason to use TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME  ZONE -- TIMESTAMP WITH TIME
ZONE is required if you want the value to represent a moment in
time.

-Kevin