Re: How to improve insert speed with index on text column

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to improve insert speed with index on text column
Date: 2012-01-31 18:46:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Shared buffers is the cache maintained by PostgreSQL. All all the data
> that you read/write need to go through shared buffers.

While this is technically true, I need to point out that you generally
increase shared_buffers for high concurrency, and for reads, not for
writes, especially for row-at-a-time inserts. There's just not that
much memory required (although more than the out-of-the-box defaults).

I'd suggest increasing wal_buffers to 16MB, which is the maximum useful
amount, rather than 5MB.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.