update with from

From: Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>
To: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: update with from
Date: 2012-01-23 10:00:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Postgresql 8.2

I want to update a table with a from that has mutliple rows joining to
it. According to the docs, this is not advisable because:
"If it does, then only one of the join rows will be used to update the
target row, but which one will be used is not readily predictable."

In my tests, if the joined rows are sorted it always updates with the
first row. Does anyone have any other experiences, or should I be
concerned that at some point it will behave differently?

The performance is currently unacceptable when changing the from to only
join to one row makes

Thanks
Sim