Re: automating CF submissions (was xlog location arithmetic)

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: automating CF submissions (was xlog location arithmetic)
Date: 2012-01-16 23:23:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/16/2012 05:25 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> The most reasonable answer to this is for people to publish a git repo
> URL in addition to the "official" submission of changes to the list in
> patch form.  And momentum toward doing that just keeps going up, even
> among longer term contributors who weren't git advocates at all a year
> during the transition.  I nudged Simon that way and he's pushing
> branches for major patches but not small ones yet, it looks like
> Andrew fully embraced bitbucket recently, etc.

If we're going to do that, the refspec to be pulled needs to be a tag, I
think, not just a branch, and people would have to get into the habit of
tagging commits and explicitly pushing tags.

I probably should be doing that, and it is now built into the buildfarm
client release mechanism, but I usually don't when just publishing dev
work. Guess I need to start. I'll probably use tag names like
branch-YYYYMMDDHHMM.

I certainly like the idea of just being able to pull in a tag from a
remote instead of applying a patch.

(BTW, I use both bitbucket and github. They both have advantages.)

cheers

andrew