Re: Enumeration of tables is very slow in largish database

From: Kirill Müller <kirill(dot)mueller(at)ivt(dot)baug(dot)ethz(dot)ch>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enumeration of tables is very slow in largish database
Date: 2012-01-11 21:36:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On 01/11/2012 09:36 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 01/11/2012 11:45 AM, Kirill Müller wrote:
>> On 01/11/2012 04:32 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>>> Would seem that they both have the same issue, namely pulling over the
>>> table
>>> names and the meta data is resource intensive.
>> The problem is that the slow part is the "connect"...
> More digging:
> Looks like QGIS use the geometry_columns table first to determine the
> geometry aware tables, failing that it walks the tables looking for
> geometry columns. Is the geometry_columns table up to date with the
> actual tables?
Thank you for the tip. In the current version of QGIS, I can select
"only look in the geometry_columns table" as an option. For 40000+
entries in this table, it took just some seconds to enumerate all
tables. This workaround solves the most urgent problems (I'm currently
rebuilding the geometry_columns table).

Kirill

ETH Zürich
Institute for Transport Planning and Systems
HIL F 32.2
Wolfgang-Pauli-Str. 15
8093 Zürich

Phone: +41 44 633 33 17
Fax: +41 44 633 10 57
Secretariat: +41 44 633 31 05
E-Mail: kirill(dot)mueller(at)ivt(dot)baug(dot)ethz(dot)ch