Re: checkpoint writeback via sync_file_range

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: checkpoint writeback via sync_file_range
Date: 2012-01-11 04:38:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/10/12 9:14 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Based on that, I whipped up the attached patch, which,
> if sync_file_range is available, simply iterates through everything
> that will eventually be fsync'd before beginning the write phase and
> tells the Linux kernel to put them all under write-out.

I hadn't really thought of using it that way. The kernel expects that
when this is called the normal way, you're going to track exactly which
segments you want it to sync. And that data isn't really passed through
the fsync absorption code yet; the list of things to fsync has already
lost that level of detail.

What you're doing here doesn't care though, and I hadn't considered that
SYNC_FILE_RANGE_WRITE could be used that way on my last pass through its
docs. Used this way, it's basically fsync without the wait or
guarantee; it just tries to push what's already dirty further ahead of
the write queue than those writes would otherwise be.

One idea I was thinking about here was building a little hash table
inside of the fsync absorb code, tracking how many absorb operations
have happened for whatever the most popular relation files are. The
idea is that we might say "use sync_file_range every time <N> calls for
a relation have come in", just to keep from ever accumulating too many
writes to any one file before trying to nudge some of it out of there.
The bat that keeps hitting me in the head here is that right now, a
single fsync might have a full 1GB of writes to flush out, perhaps
because it extended a table and then write more than that to it. And in
everything but a SSD or giant SAN cache situation, 1GB of I/O is just
too much to fsync at a time without the OS choking a little on it.

> I don't know that I have a suitable place to test this, and I'm not
> quite sure what a good test setup would look like either, so while
> I've tested that this appears to issue the right kernel calls, I am
> not sure whether it actually fixes the problem case.

I'll put this into my testing queue after the upcoming CF starts.