Re: BUG #6353: If there is invalid line in pg_hba.conf, DB start fails without any nofice and no logs in pgstartup.

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6353: If there is invalid line in pg_hba.conf, DB start fails without any nofice and no logs in pgstartup.
Date: 2011-12-22 17:22:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 22-12-2011 12:53, erkan(at)eurotel(dot)com(dot)tr wrote:
> If I add this line to pg_hba.conf, it causes a silent startup failure:
> local all backup 127.0.0.1/32 trust
> There is a linux user backup on this system. After adding this line and
> issue "pg_ctl reload" it signals server successfully, no errors. But if I
> stop db server, I can not start db anymore. Strangely no log exists in
> pgstartup.log. Even I start with -d 5 debug param, it exists after "logging
> shutdown" message. Debugging with gdb didn't help. After removing the line
> added above in pg_hba.conf, db starts.

This is not a bug. Did you check your server logs (pgstartup.log must be the
pg_ctl output)? I got:

LOG: invalid authentication method "127.0.0.1/32"
CONTEXT: line 80 of configuration file "/home/euler/pg90/data/pg_hba.conf"
FATAL: could not load pg_hba.conf

If you don't have logging_collector enabled, you should get the above message
in your terminal.

Problem is: instead of local you should use host.

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira http://www.timbira.com.br/