Re: Page Checksums

From: Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Page Checksums
Date: 2011-12-18 19:51:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2011-12-18 11:19, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> The patch requires that full page writes be on in order to obviate
>> this problem by never reading a torn page.
>
> Doesn't help. Hint bit updates are not WAL-logged.

I dont know if it would be seen as a "half baked feature".. or similar,
and I dont know if the hint bit problem is solvable at all, but I could
easily imagine checksumming just "skipping" the hit bit entirely.

It would still provide checksumming for the majority of the "data" sitting
underneath the system, and would still be extremely usefull in my
eyes.

Jesper
--
Jesper